Monday, February 19, 2018

Where did I go?

In the past two years, I have been commuting to Aurora to serve a diverse population of students. This experience has pushed me beyond what I knew I could do. I have learned the stories of children who are thankful for school lunches, grandparents who try their best to raise their grandchildren, aunts and uncles who have taken in nieces and nephews.  I have met refugee families who are thankful for a safe place to live. I am amazed daily of the resilience and determination to learn even when students are new English speakers.  Each day has become a new lesson in life.

As educators, we are on one of life's most important journeys as we shape the lives and minds of futures generations.

As I reflect, I left the classroom to embark on a new journey, to give back to education. My opportunity began at Laredo Elementary. In the parking lot of the first day, I panicked. Talk about a community I barely understood. What was I doing there?  I was out of my comfort zone. What can I offer these families?

Well, inside Laredo, I joined a group of down to earth people, who truly make a difference. They genuinely care. As all educators, they go above and beyond to give kids opportunities and support each other. I found hard working parents and grandparents doing their best.

Most of all, I found kids who just want to be kids. Who want to play, laugh and have fun. All kids are curious. They want to learn, they want to do well.

When I reflect on my experience at Laredo, I watched, I listened. And in every conversation, I thought about how much I was learning through every member of the school community. My commute has become my reflection time. I brainstorm ideas for making stronger connections with our students and families, for differentiating the school experience to meet the needs of each diverse learner, for giving them the opportunities they deserve, and for preparing them for tomorrow. I approach each day with these thoughts in mind.

My view of education continually evolves. How when I think of education, what are we doing?

We are shaping tomorrow’s world. We are developing open-minded adults who think critically, problem solve, and communicate. Why are we doing this? Because you and I, we are dependent upon them. And it takes everyone, every staff member, every parent, grandparent, guardian, aunt and uncle, and every community member. Shaping tomorrow’s world is a tough responsibility.


I look forward to working with educators around the world to make a huge difference in the lives of all students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment